Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sugar & Spice

If you read both of my blogs, you'll know this post is on both of them. It seemed appropriate to put it both places.

Sometimes I have good ideas. Sometimes my good ideas come after I've implemented my OK ideas and I have to backtrack. This is one of those times.

When I was deciding how to refer to my girls on this blog, Spice was and easy name to come up with for my youngest. She shares her name with a Spice and she is a "spicy" kind of kid. She's feisty and challenging and she adds some flavor to every situation - but if you take too big a bite of her you will definitely get burned.

For my oldest I chose MamasGirl because that's what she calls herself. For years people would see her and say, "Oh I bet she's a Daddy's girl." And we'd all kind of laugh because though her father and her are close, she's always shown a preference for me. And finally about 2 or 3 years ago she looked at me and said, "I know what I am, I'm a Mama's girl!!" So that's the name I chose for here, even though I wasn't feeling it 100%.

Then yesterday I happened to hear that old rhyme, "Little girls are sugar and spice and everything nice." And I had a big "DUH!" moment, when I thought, that's what I should have called my oldest - Sugar!!! She is sweet as sugar. So incredibly sweet. And definitely that sweetness is a contrast to my other child's spiciness (that looks SO strange, but it doesn't set off the spell check). And not only is she naturally sweet in all the wonderful ways that children can be sweet, but also she uses her sweetness in all kinds of ways, but particularly to get her way.

So, I have re-dubbed her Sugar. I hope it doesn't cause too much confusion.

No comments: