Monday, July 12, 2010

A Song

It had been ages since I had written poetry or really much of anything. I had trapped myself in a tumultuous situation that was tearing me up a little. I wasn't being true to myself, true to my feelings. However, one really good thing came out of it - for the first time in many years I was letting myself feel whatever I was feeling, no matter how extreme or confused. Because I had so much emotion bubbling around inside me, I was inspired to write. All that raw feeling had to go somewhere. And so, out came this song. It didn't come out like poetry or songs, or anything, has in the past. It didn't flow out in a rush, knocking me down and forcing me to write. It came out one, slow word at a time. A drip over the course of a few weeks. Sometimes words would fall on top of previous ones, knocking them aside like blocks in a video game. But little by little this song grew. Though I am not particularly proud of the circumstances the song was born in, I love the song itself - like a bastard child that others may scorn but the mother will love with all her heart and soul.

Mine

You said no love
that was just fine by me
I locked up my heart and left it to be

No feelings to touch,
no tender embrace
Just passion and lust in each face to face

But the heart does what it will
It won't be silenced, it can't stay still
When you move on I'll be just fine
Cause my heart may be yours
But this love is all mine

No need to claim
You've already shown that you can't be tamed
Your heart is your own

Love is easy to live
when it's not returned
You have no fire to give so I can't get burned

And the heart does what it will
It won't be silenced
It can't stay still
When you move on
I'll be just fine
Cause my heart may be yours
But this love is all mine
It's all mine.

I didn't want it to stop, but I had no say
I gave you my heart and you tossed it away

Maybe one day you'll look back and see
There was nothing you saved when stepped back from me

So my heart does what it will.
It was never silent, it couldn't be still
You have moved on, and I am just fine.
My heart's always yours,
but this love is all mine.
It's all mine

2 comments:

Hope Perlman said...

Love that line: My heart's always your, but this love is all mine.

Unknown said...

my heart stays still... love that. we should work on putting music to it. soon.