Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Harry Potter, Relationships, Siblings, Family & Brooklyn

I have slacked off on both my blogs and I want to get back into it - but I seem to keep getting distracted.

Last week was all about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. *WARNING* I might feel compelled to ramble on about this book for a bit which means there might be spoilers for anyone who plans to read the book, but hasn't done so yet. Every spare, waking moment I had - and there are very, very, very few of those in my life - was spent reading that book. I feel a little sad that the series has come to an end, but I'm also feeling satisfied as well. All the questions were answered and pretty much everyone ended up where they should have. Though, I must say I would have been much happier had Lupin, Tonks, Fred and Dobby lived. Still, I guess I see some meaning to their deaths - well, mostly. Poor Lupin, as I look back on it, never had a chance. I guess Rowling was determined to really follow through on making that Defense Against the Dark Arts position jinxed. 3 of the 6 professors bit the dust in the book - maybe even 4, because I can't for the life of me, right now, think of how Umbridge was left off. At least we know why she was so sick and twisted, walking around with that Horcrux around her neck.

So Lupin was bound to get swept up in Rowling's killing off of the DADA professors. Interestingly, though, his and Tonks death is what assured me that Harry was going to survive (up until that point I was pretty sure Harry was going down). But the moment I realized that Teddy would be in Harry's position - orphaned because his parents fought against Voldemort - and that Harry had been named his godfather, I knew that Harry would have to live to be there for Teddy the way Sirius would have been there for him, if he could have. And, I know I have a vivid imagination and like to add in my own stuff - but somehow I imagine that caring for Teddy would have allowed Harry to heal some of his own hurts at losing his parents so young.

Dobby's death hurt almost worst than any of the others for me. I think part of this is because Dobby was really the only purely good, completely self-less character.

No comments: